steamed white pomfret
Stir fried dou miao
Poached chicken with warm ginger sauce
Some friends I know tell me a Chinese would need rice for every meal.
I am not that extreme, but I do like Chinese meals. The concept of communal dinning, with a bowl of plump fluffy rice, plate heaped with stir fried greens and whole steamed fish, together with family or friends sounds like the best thing that could happen in a day.
zzz hardly prepares Chinese food for meals. Probably because there are many 高手s around and its much better to leave it done by the experts.
But zzz did decide to venture into Chinese cooking last Sunday. Since my mum bought 2 pomfrets for steaming. it would be strange to have them done western style.
The result? Not a bad attempt at cooking a meal of 家常便饭 ( a simple home cooked meal). Well done!!
Apple Cinnamon Muffins
I knew I needed to make this when I saw the recipe.
Well, I was supposed to bake this. But I was so preoccupied with work (?!) that zzz decided to start first.
Rather good thing though. zzz finished everything (including the washing up) before I could finish my work.
recipe from Sarah’s Loft (gorgeous blog!)
Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- 3 large red apples (cored)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup canola/vegetable oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (you can replace with plain flour)
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream/buttermilk/yoghurt (I make my own buttermilk at home as it’s cheaper that way! :))
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Set oven to 175C
- Grease your muffin tin well if you are not using muffin paper liners.
- Cut 2 1/2 apples into small cubes. Cut the remainder. 1/2 apple into 12 thin strips for garnishing
- Place the apples, cinnamon and 1/2 cup brown sugar into In a wide based saucepan
- Turn the heat to high and mix the apples with the cinnamon and sugar well until sugar has melted.
- Turn the heat to low to let the apples soften.
- Once apples have softened, take the saucepan off the heat and let the mixture cool.
- Once cooled, mash the apples by hand or in a food processor.
- Then pour apple mixture into a large bowl.
- Stir in oil, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 egg till combined.
- Stir in whole wheat flour, plain flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt until flour is completely mixed in.
- Stir in sour cream and vanilla extract until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the muffin tin and fill to the brim.
- Bake in the oven for approx. 20 minutes
- Afterwhich, take out to rest and after 15 minutes, take the muffins out of the tin onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
One of my favourite home cooked meal
Vietnamese Spring Rolls
Green Tea Smoked Duck
When zzz said he was going to cook a simple dinner, I kind of suspected it was not going to be anything simple.
These were what we had last night.
Green tea cupcakes with cream cheese frosting & adzuki beans
Green Tea Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting & Adzuki Beans
1 1/2 cup (minus 2 tbps) all purpose flour
2 tbsp matcha (green tea) powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
115 grams butter
1 cup raw sugar
1/2 cup milk
(cream cheese frosting)
125 gram cream cheese
3/4 – 1 cup icing sugar
1/4 cup adzui (Japanese red beans) beans
2 tbsp raw sugar
To prepare adzuki beans:
Wash beans and boil in just enough water to cover.
Turn off heat and let it rest till cooled (about 2 hrs).
Bring back to boil, simmer for 30mins, and add water if necessary
Add sugar, simmer for another 30mins.
Leave aside to cool.
To prepare cupcakes:
Preheat oven into 180degc
Mix flour, matcha powder and baking powder in a bowl.
Cream butter and sugar in a mixer for 2-3mins.
Add eggs one at a time.
Add flour mixture and milk alternatively in 3 additions and beat until just combined.
Using an ice-cream scope, scope into lined cupcake tins.
Bake for 20mins or until skewer comes out clean
To prepare frosting:
Cream butter and cream cheese in mixer until light and fluffy.
Add 3/4 cup of icing sugar and taste. Add more icing sugar if necessary.
Pipe cream cheese frosting on cooled cupcakes.
Drain adzuki beans and place a tbsp onto each cupcakes
Sprinkle a little matcha powder over each cupcakes.